June 3, 2008

$$ The Total Money Makeover $$


This has got to be one of my favorite books! Everyone that has read it says the same thing, "I wish I would have found it sooner!" My aunt and uncle read it, who passed it on to my other aunt and uncle, who passed it on to us! Ok, so I am totally not in to reading books that aren't a story...and really I don't even read those books either, but anyways, I could not put this one down! I know there are a lot of "get rich quick" books out there and I for some reason get annoyed by them, maybe because you can't get something that easy, right? I love that Dave (yes, we are a first name basis already, we love the guy in our home) tells you right away that it is not going to be easy and that you'll have to really work hard to achieve it, but it's doable. He tells you step by step how to pay off debt (credit cards, student loans, cars, houses even!), save for the future, and get together an emergency fund. I especially love that he says to put away 10% of your earnings to your religion. How perfect is he! I had to get the word out about this book! Read it and I promise you will have a total new outlook on life! You can even check it out in the library. This book is for everyone too! Even if you don't have debt and you are great at saving money, I promise, Dave will have a way to help it be easier for you! Before Nick and I read this book we had already paid off Nick's credit card debt, had a little in savings, and had good intentions to keep saving. Dave has changed our way of thinking though! One of his many sayings is, "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else." This gives us hope, because although we don't have the fancy house, cars, TV, tons of channels, etc., we also don't have any student loans or credit card debt. All we owe is on our house and car, and thanks to Dave, the car will hopefully be paid off really soon. No, we do not make a ton of money, but Dave makes you realize you don't have to be rich to pay things off. That's what I love! The world makes you think you need to be rich to be happy or have a lot of money to get the things you want, but, once again, Davey boy will show you how. (I wonder if he'd give me some $$mula$$ for endorsing his book like this...) You become really creative in saving money and paying for things. I could say so much more about this book, but I will spare you all. However, I do have to commend my aunt and uncle for their success! Last Christmas they paid off their van meaning the only thing they owe money on is their house! What a great feeling that must be! Student loans, credit cards, cars...those debts are gone! Truly I could go on and on. Nick and I read it maybe a year ago, but we went out to eat with Claire and Cody the other night and they paid with cash. I looked at Nick and said, "Dave Ramsey would be proud!" Cody looked at Claire and asked if she had told me, which she hadn't. So totally random that we both are on board with good 'ole Dave. It made me realize that I wish we were all reading it and I was being selfish by not spreading the word! Anyways, Claire and I are excited to share ideas and successes and maybe some of you can read it and share with us too! Please, please read this (or if you already have) and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a good read. I will have to check it out some time. Money issues seems to be constantly on my mind. I mean we do really well saving, living in our means and staying out of debt, but I would always like to learn new strategies for saving. Thanks for sharing

Natalie said...

Thanks for the advice! I love to find new ways to save and get out of debt.

Arnett's said...

So I am mad at you for not sharing this with us a year ago!! JK. Anthony and I are on the right track, but would like more advice!! So do you still have the book so I can read it? Bring it camping... or I will get it the library is like 400 feet from our house! Thanks! You are so awesome. I just told Tony how much I like you. Thanks for being my friend!! P.S. We are watching So You Think You Can Dance and I just realized you didnt invite me to your party!! JK

The Riding Family said...

Dave should be paying you to endorse him! I am already a believer and yet your speech made me feel like I want to read it again. Have you ever thought about going into politics? :)