June 20, 2008

Father's Day

For Father's Day Nick got a book he has been dying to read and a DVD. And for those of you who know my husband, these are the perfect gifts. He has quite the DVD collection and is obsessed with reading! It's true. He usually reads at least one book a week. He and his family swap books, but if he doesn't have a new one he will read one he has already read. How can you do that? You already know what is going to happen! He LOVES to read. He read the whole Work and the Glory series in a little under 3 months (and for someone who works full time that's insane I think!). I like to read, but for some reason never set aside time to do it. We went to Nick's parents for dinner and had desserts with all of my family.
I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband who is also an amazing dad. Nick is always so willing to help with Allie even after working in the hot sun all day. He always has Allie and I laughing. He never complains about changing diapers, giving Allie a bath, getting her ready on Sundays, and the list goes on and on. I just started a new job working as an extern nurse and I work 12 hour night shifts a couple nights a month. He has been so supportive of my schooling and was not at all bothered by taking care of Allie all night long. I truly could not have asked for a better husband and daddy for Allie. Our future children are so lucky!
I am really blessed to have Nick's dad in my life, too. From the very beginning he welcomed me into their family and considered me one of his daughters, which means more than he will ever know. He is such a great man and I am grateful for his love and service to our family. My grandpa and uncles have always been a support system for me as well. In fact, when Nick and I decided to get married I told him he had to ask permission from my mom, my grandpa, and my uncle Kent. Since my dad has never really been around, and when he is he's not really a father-figure, I have been able to turn to my grandpa and uncles for that father figure.
Father's Day has always been a hard holiday. In past years I have been bitter and angry and wondered why other people got to have such amazing fathers. I was almost angry at other people for having a good dad because I felt they didn't know how good they had it. The day always left me filling empty and sad. As I have gotten older I am learning to forgive my dad and am starting to realize that for his condition he is doing the best that he knows how. It has taken a lot of years though and I don't think I will ever really be completely ok with it all, but at least it is getting better. I have learned to rely on my Heavenly Father for strength and to look to him for comfort during those times when I ache for a dad. My mom has done a great job of playing both the mom and the dad, and I know if it weren't for the experiences we have had together, my mom and I might not be so close. So for that I am grateful because I consider my mom one of my best friends. Nick has shown me that there is such thing as a dad that loves unconditionally and will be there no matter what. I will forever be grateful to him for what an amazing dad he is to Allie and know that Allie will always know she has a father who loves her.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Horrah for good men in our lives!