May 28, 2008

911 Call...again...


I've been meaning to blog about this since it happened. Please be careful driving out there! I had to go to the hospital for a couple of hours last Thursday, so I was driving West on the US 60 around 6:45am. I got in the right hand lane because I was almost to the Higley exit. I was driving about 75mph and this car whizzed by me on the left. I figured he was in a hurry if he was going that much faster than me and I was doing 10 over the speed limit. As soon as he got past me he swerved and turned into my lane! Apparently he needed to get off on Higley too? Not changed lanes, not slightly turned his wheel, but cranked the wheel so he was right in front of me and perpendicular to me! What the heck! As I stepped on the brake I thought, "Oh shoot, this guy's car is out of control!" His tires were smoking from burning rubber and his back end fishtailed. His front tires hit the small bump that separates the freeway from the rocks that are off to the right. (You know what I'm talking about? Like off to the right there are rocks and trees.) Anyways, so his tires hit the bump and sent him sailing in the air!! His car did a 360 degree flip in the air and hit a tree before it landed on its wheels again!! Holy cow!! From the time he turned into my lane to the time he landed on his wheels again was like 5 seconds! It all happened so fast! So I pulled off and called 911. Two cars pulled off with me and one guy was calling 911 too and the other ran toward the wrecked car. I jumped out and started running towards the car too all the time thinking..."Ok, there's gloves in my trunk, I'm about to see a dead guy, what did I learn about trauma victims???" So I'm still talking to 911 and trying to tell them where we are. I decided to let the other guy go help the dead guy while I stay on the phone and give directions. I look over and the guy in the car has his head on the steering wheel and isn't moving. Then, all of a sudden, he slowly lifts his head, shakes it back and forth, and gets out of the car!! He started walking towards us! How was he not dead?? And how is he walking?? I said, "Holy cow! Are you ok? How are you alive and walking??" He said, "I don't know, because I didn't have a seat belt on! I just held on to that blankety-blank steering wheel as hard as I could!" What?? No seat belt, 360 flip in the air, and you're walking?!! Anyways, even longer story short, the police got there and I told them what I saw and then left to go to the hospital. He turned in front of me at 6:45 and I was back on the road driving at 6:55. I was totally in shock of what the heck just happened and was shaking. So my point? Please be careful out there! I had to call 911 two weeks ago because there was an accident right in front of me and neither one of the cars had a cell phone. I had to call and then stay to tell the police what I saw. Am I bad luck or something?

4 comments:

Arnett's said...

OH MY GOSH. I am freaking out!! I cant believe that. I am so glad you are okay. That has to be SO freaky. Holy cow!!

Lindsay said...

Scary, you are so blessed that he didn't hit your car. I think I drive safer now that I have my daughter in the back seat, at least I hope I do.

Natalie said...

HOLY COW!! That is really scary, and I can't believe the guy just walked away from such a bad accident. I don't think you r bad luck. In fact I think those people are lucky to have someone near by who is getting medical training, just in case something had happend to them.

Nicole said...

I totally agree with Natalie! Those people are so lucky you were there! I can't believe what a scary story that is! I am so glad you are okay!