September 28, 2008

The Sunday Paper

This morning I was in the office, I could hear Nick finishing getting ready in our bathroom, and Allie was in the living room watching Lion King. (We really need to get some church videos for her. Any recommendations for a 2 year old?) We were all just killing time until our home teacher came. I was startled to hear the front door close. I thought, "What the heck?! Did he just let himself in? Wasn't the door locked? Where is Allie?!" I ran into the living room to find Allie letting herself back IN the door. BACK IN THE DOOR! Meaning she'd already been outside! How did I not hear the door open?! I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Mommy, I get paper. See!" and she showed me two newspapers she had picked up from the driveway. HOLY COW!! So I told her to show me what she did. She said, "I put shoes on. Alock door (as she is standing on her toes unlocking the door). I get paper (as she is pointing toward the driveway). I come in a show Mommy." If only you could have seen her acting it out and listen to how she said it. She said it like she was going through a long list and she dragged out the last word of each sentence: on, door, paper, and Mommy. She just looked at me like, "what? I was just getting the paper for you." Needless to say Nick and I will be shopping for another lock for our door tomorrow. I'm so grateful that's all she did! I was telling Nick thankgoodness she didn't go to the park, or in the street, or to the neighbors! I only heard the door shut when she came back IN. I went through a little I'm-a-terrible-mother freakout for a while and then decided to calm down and just make sure I check on Allie more frequently. She wants so badly to be helpful, so I really couldn't get upset with her. We did have a little chat about not going outside without Mommy or Daddy.


I love her face.
"See, I was just
getting the paper.
Chill out Mom."
Check out her
killer platform
shoes she trotted
out in with her PJ's.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

How scary! I would have freaked out too. I should prepare in advance a buy a lock now. I don't want any surprises. I am glad she was good and came right back inside. It just shows how good of a mommy you are and have taught her well, to stay close. :)

Melissa said...

She is so funny. I love hearing about all of the stuff she says and does. Little Rascal!

Sara said...

Um... that is crazy! She is so smart. I cant believe that she did all that by her self and was so casual about it!