August 1, 2009

I See the Moon...

When I was little we would always go to Grandma and Grandpa's house on Sunday night. All the uncles, aunts, and cousins would come, too. We ate popcorn, drank kool-aid, and the little kids played while the adults caught up on the past weeks activities. I have such fun memories of Sunday nights at Grandma's house. The worst punishment our parents could give would be to stay home on Sunday nights instead of going to Grandma's. What on earth would you do just sitting at home on a Sunday night?! I'm sad to say that over the last couple of years Sunday nights at Grandma's have not happened every Sunday like they used to. The price of gas, families moving out to Queen Creek, and some of us kids getting married and creating our own families have made it harder to commit to every Sunday night. We are hoping to at least set aside one Sunday a month that the whole family can commit to. Right family?! Right?! Well, one of my favorite Sunday night memories was walking out to our cars with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa would either carry us or hold our hands and walk with us. As we walked out he would ask us where the moon was and we'd laugh while finding it together. Then he'd sing "I See the Moon". I loved listening to Grandpa sing. I was shocked the other day when one of my cousins didn't know the words to this beloved song! It proved to me that we need to be better about spending Sunday nights at Grandma's! I have enjoyed singing this song to my girls (it's so fun to say girls, plural!) and Allie loves singing along with me. She asks me to sing it to her every night before bed. Tonight I asked if she would let me record her while she sang so that great-grandpa could hear her. Surprisingly, she agreed! She threw in "Mr. Golden Sun" while she was at it :) So this video is for you Grandpa! Thanks for all of the fun memories and I am so grateful you are able to make memories with my girls. Allie adores you! Love you Grandma and Grandpa!!

"I see the Moon. The Moon sees me.
Hiding behind the old oak tree.
Please let the light that shines on me,
Shine on the one I love."

4 comments:

Christine said...

That was seriously so cute! What a doll!

Kristina said...

She is adorable! She's got a good little voice in her...love this video!

Ken_and_Becky said...

Aww, that was sweet! What a cutie! Ken's family does fast Sunday so it's easy to remember and they just take turns having it at each family's house. Fun times and good for keeping in touch!

The Skousens said...

Too cute, she has a good voice for such a little girl!!! I hate how that happens as families grow up! That's so nice that you have so much family close by though...lucky you!!!