February 1, 2008

Catch up #2 Temple Lights

I guess I could have put this with the last one, but it was already so dang long. Nick, Allie, and I went to temple lights with Tyler, Kristi, Emma, and Hailey. We love seeing the lights every year. Nick and his scouts got to help put some up some of the lights. Allie loved pointing at all the different lights and running around with her cousin Emma. Just as we were leaving my brother-in-law and I heard a loud smack. One of those sounds that makes you instantly sick. We turned around to see an elderly woman lying face down on the rocky steps near the reflecting pond. She was going DOWN the steps and fell forward face first. I just stood there thinking that someone around her would pick her up but everyone just kinda walked by slowly staring. My brother-in-law quickly rushed over to help her up. I didn't want to be one of those, "Out of the way everyone... I am a Block 2 nursing student!! But nobody else was doing anything! We ran over and helped sit her up. The poor thing had busted her head pretty bad and had a really bad broken wrist. The man with her kept trying to get her stand up! I kept thinking about all the assessment things I had learned in school and started asking her her name, where she was from, how long she had been here...and the man she was with kept answering for her. Poor guy was just trying to help, but I needed her to answer these questions to see how bad her head injury was! Anyways, an ambulance came a couple of minutes later and whisked her away. My poor brother-in-law had her propped up against his leg the whole time and it took him a while to walk normally after they took her away. Needless to say, we had quite the experience. I am such a nerd when it comes to anything in nursing, so I got the biggest adrenaline rush out of the whole thing.


Allie and her cousin Hailey


Allie and her cousin Emma
(In case you couldn't tell, she
loves that darn pacifier)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love seeing what you have been up to. #1 I feel so bad for that poor lady. Good thing you and your family were there. #2 That is so great that you are loving nursing school. I honestly don't know how you do it. Thinking about poking people with a needle makes me queasy! #3 You and Nick are so brave to think about letting Allie go down the mountain. It sounds like you guys had a great time! #4 Did we go on that hike one time with you? #5 You are so pretty!! I love the picture of you, Nick and Allie at the temple lights.