November 6, 2008

JDRF Race for the Cure

Last Saturday Nick, Allie, and I walked with 16 other members of my family in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Race for the Cure at Tempe Town Lake. My cousin Samantha was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when she was only 5. After she was diagnosed they tested her for other autoimmune diseases and diagnosed her with Celiac Disease, too. She is such an awesome kid! I remember when she was really little asking if things were gluten free before she ate it. She could also tell me that she was allowed to have 15 cheetos for a snack. At such a young age! She blew me away! She has the best attitude about it and it such a good example to me. I am always asking her about things to help me understand it better for school. This was our second year walking and it was sometimes overwhelming to see all the different shirts. Almost all of the teams make matching shirts and some were very moving. My mom and I being the bawl bags that we are got a little teary eyed reading a few. Especially the ones that read "In Loving Memory of". Samantha designed our shirts and they said, "Samantha's Mission Possible" on the front with a footprint under the lettering and "Target the Cure Juvenile Diabetes" on the back. There were over 26,000 walkers this year and it was decided that they needed to have two seperate walks on the same day next year. Our family agrees :) We had a fun time together on the walk and look forward to doing it next year! Thanks Samantha for inviting us and for having such a strong spirit! We love you!

My cousin's husband
works for GoDaddy
who is a major
sponsor so he and
his wife wore the
orange and white
GoDaddy shirts
with green hats.

These are Samantha's
parents. They are
amazing. They have
had to learn to be
mathematicians,
chemists, nurses, and
Samantha's emotional
rocks.


Samantha and Allie.
If Samantha is
around this is where
you will find Allie...
in her arms. Allie
adores her cousins.


This picture is pretty
dark, but I love
Brittany's face in it.
We had to keep
stopping and make
sure everyone was
together. There
were so many people!

Good 'ole Daddy
pulling that wagon
again. Most of the
time it had two kids
in it and Nick pulled
it the whole time.
Thanks honey!



Brittany and her
husband, Eric.
We had to stop
and refuel with
some trailmix
and water.

This picture cracks
me up because
Allie and Caleb
have the same
face and they look
like what we all
felt like at the end.




Those free
hotdogs and chips
at the end make
it all worth it!

No comments: