August 11, 2008

Wedding

Last Friday one of my dad's brothers got married. Nick, Allie, and I, along with my brother and one of my cousins drove up to Prescott for the wedding. I hadn't seen my dad in a little over a year so it was really good to see him. He brought my two sisters and one of my brothers. The youngest one, Sammy, is only 2 so he stayed home with his mom. I haven't seen the oldest sister in 3 years and I haven't seen the other two kids in over 6 years so I'm really glad my dad brought them. Holy cow they changed a lot! Obviously, but still it was amazing to see how different they were. We had fun getting to know them at the wedding dinner. It was actually fun seeing my dad too. It's harder for me to stay mad at him lately. I'm trying to remember to enjoy myself when I'm actually with him, because I never know when he'll come around again. I don't know how, but Allie started calling my dad "Grandpa" and his parents "Grandma and Grandpa". It was so weird hearing her call them by those names. Obviously that's what they are to her, but I had never called them that before around her. I'm guessing she must have heard some of the other kids saying it. I don't know if I liked it or not. I guess it's not fair to Allie for me to keep her from that side of the family, but sometimes I think it would be easier for me if I could. We stayed in a ghetto motel in Prescott. Seriously, super ghetto. If we would have stayed more than one night we definitely would have found a different hotel. I'm so glad Allie isn't crawling anymore or I would have been way more paranoid. Random story about my cousin who went with us: Ben, my cousin, is friends with my other cousin Lynsey (they are not related). They go to the same school and run track together. He was over at her house one night with some other friends and was looking at a family picture on her wall. He said, "I think that girl is my cousin! What's her name?!" Lynsey said, "What?! That's my cousin. Her name is Mindy." To which Ben replied, "Holy crap! She's my cousin!" Now mind you, I hadn't seen Ben in over 10 years. My brother really wanted to get in touch with Ben and his siblings, but we didn't know where they lived or what they were doing in life. Come to find out, they live about 2 miles north of us and we now meet in the same ward building. What are the odds after all these years?!! We ended up being able to go to his older brother's, Justin's, mission farewell and last weekend we got to drive up to the wedding with Ben. It truly must be a small world.

Allie clunked around
in my shoes for a
while. She was the life
of the party. People
kept taking pictures
of her and she was
hammin' it up for
the camera!







Me, my dad,
and Chris.




Allie loved the
dancing! She
kept asking people
to take her back
out on the dance
floor.
Nick put Allie on his feet and danced with
her. So cute! Yes, Nick is wearing Wranglers. He was
more than excited it was a small town wedding and
knew he could get away with it.

2 comments:

The Skousens said...

Oh, how neat that you got to see your dad and family that you haven't seen in a while! Looks like you guys had fun at the wedding...I love Allie wearing your shoes (which are adorable by the way) and I love that Nick wore his Wranglers, too funny!!!

The Riding Family said...

I'm glad for you that you got to see your family. Crazy story about your cousins. What a small world! How's nursing school going?