September 12, 2009

How I LOVE homemade raspberry freezer jam

126

I have had raspberries in my grandma’s freezer for…maybe 2 years now, or has it been longer?  Well, needless to say it was waaaay past time to make jam.  I was spoiled as a child to never know the taste of store bought jam.  My mom and grandma always kept our freezer full of homemade freezer jam.  Boysenberry and raspberry to be exact.  Mmmm.  So a couple of years ago I ordered berries with the intent to make jam soon…and soon turned into 2 or 3 years.  Grandma and I were concerned that maybe the berries would have lost some of their flavor, but to our relief they were still full of flavor!

119

Allie had a lot of fun helping us stir the jam.  Now that I know how easy it is to make I will definitely be doing it more often!  Unfortunately the company we used to order from has significantly increased its prices, so I’ll be on the look out for berries on sale. 

130131

We bottled 25 quart sized bottles and 9 smaller bottles.  I was happy with how much jam it made!

124135

Brittany and Clancy came over to visit so Brooklynn and Clancy kicked around together.  And Emily and Cami were there too, so Allie got to play with Cami.  It’s so fun having some of my cousins be close to Allie’s age and also my cousin’s children be Brooklynn’s age. 

Thanks Grandma for all the help!  I love learning from you and spending time with you! 

4 comments:

Ken_and_Becky said...

Oooh, the jam looks tasty! Fry's has rasperries for $1 for the little containers right now (though you might be able to find better deals in bulk).

Melissa said...

I would have to agree...home made jam is the absolute best, esp. on fresh baked bread. Brooklyn is so round, I love it!

Ben and Chelsee said...

I love homemade jam. Although, I made peach freezer jam last year and it was a mess. Then after a full day of cooking and jar-ing I find out Ben doesn't even like peach jam...lame. Maybe raspberry would be a better choice. Anyway the REAL reason I am commenting...the picture of your daughter and your grandma is the sweetest picture. The way Allie is looking up to your Grandma and smiling while she is busy making jam. Priceless. You have a beautiful little family, and you are a great Mom. Glad to see that you are doing so well.

Nursemelanie said...

You figured out how to fix your blog...yay. Isn't windows live writer amazing. I miss you grandma, I haven't seen her in forever. It was so fun to see you the other day. The jam looks delicious :)