March 4, 2009

What Not to Say to Someone Who is Pregnant

This is for all those people out there that might forget to think before they comment on the size of a pregnant women. Is anyone else out there amazed at the things people say?? Some of these comments were from when I was pregnant with Allie and a few are from now. I'm sure everyone that has ever been pregnant has heard at least one of these. I've learned to just laugh...

* "How far along are you honey? Oh you poor thing, you have such a long way to go!" (In case I didn't know I look gigantic...this confirmed it.)

* "Are you sure there is only one in there?"

* "Oh my goodness you are so swollen. Look at your ankles...they are sagging over your flip-flops." (I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.)

* "Are you sure your blood pressure is normal. You just look like you're getting sick! Your arms are even swollen!" (Unfortanely it wasn't until after I lost all my water weight with Allie that I realized my arms really were quite swollen.)

* Them: "How far along are you?" Me: "22 weeks" Them: "Oh so just barely." Me: My thought(Are you kidding me! I'm over halfway lady! I've been pregnant since September! Barely would be like 4, maybe 8 weeks! There's a living being the size of a banana in me!)

* Them: "How far along are you?" Me: "22 weeks" Them: "Oh don't worry you always stick out faster with your second one!" (Apparently I "stick out". I didn't have a problem with it really until someone tried to make me feel better about it...now I might have a problem with it)

* "You look like you're ready to pop!" (Unfortunately lady I still have like 10 weeks left!)

Oh the funny things people say...that they shouldn't say...

12 comments:

The Skousens said...

Oh my, I had so many of the same comments! One time this guy at my work told me, "Wow, you look like you're ready to pop anytime" and yet I had like 2 months or so left...I was so sad, lol!

Friends to LOSE said...

Those are not cool. Some people are really dense or something, don't they know they aren't supposed to mess with pregnant women :)??

Arnett's said...

We have talked many a times about this. People are lame. At like 25 weeks people started suggesting that I was ready to pop. What the heck!! When I was pregnant with Aiden my mother- my very own mother... was CONVINCED I had lied to her and I was having twins. She said it so many times... RUDE!

Cami said...

AMEN!! what are people thinking? I have had most of those comments made to me too...I just want to yell...THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

Nursemelanie said...

oh...poor mindy. I never really thought about that...I've have to be careful what I say next time I see a pregnant girl. What is the right thing to say anyway?

Melissa said...

You don't even look huge at all! You are so cute. When I was pregnant and working all day shifts I got these really tight panty hose things that totally helped with swelling. They are currently not in use if you are interested!! They were a little pricey, but like I said, you could totally borrow mine. Is that weird?

Melissa said...

p.s. congrats on another little girl!!!

The Riding Family said...

So, so true. Now you should do a post of everything people say about your baby. "Is it a boy or girl?". First of all, don't refer to my baby as an "it" and secondly, don't you see the blue shirt, boy hair, and long shorts?

Lucinda said...

I had someone ask me how far along I was 2 weeks after I had Katelyn. I said, "I just had my baby two weeks ago!" They felt kinda bad. I decided to never ask anyone if they were pregnant ever again after that. BTW, you are so little and cute pregnant! I love your little basketball belly!

Arnett's said...

So over 2 months now... how is the life and stuff..........

Melissa said...

Congrats on Graduation! I am so happy for you!

The Riding Family said...

I want some new maternity pics!